Thursday, February 5, 2009

Roasted Garbanzo Beans


Winter Blues


I am very seasonal sort of person. I am sensitive to hot, cold, wet, gloom, humidity, and commuting 60 miles in an ice storm. I think the “commuting 60 miles to work” has a lot to do with it. Early every February, my gloomies and the Groundhog show up. While the Groundhog gets to go to back to bed for six more weeks, I just have to do the best I can.


I have discovered that anything right out of the oven helps to make it all better. Unfortunately, that usually contributes to my, uhm, “bottom line” as well. These Roasted Garbanzos satisfy the need for hot-from-the-oven without filling you out.


Roasted Garbanzo Beans


Canned garbanzos beans (also known as Chick Peas), drained, rinsed, and dumped onto a clean kitchen towel: 1 can


Extra Virgin Olive oil: about 1 Tablespoon


Curry Powder- any brand/ heat level you like: 1-2 teaspoons


Garlic Salt- to taste


Equipment: a zipper-topped bag, baking sheet, and parchment paper or aluminum foil.


Preheat oven to 400*F. 


To remove the papery skin on the Garbanzos; dump the rinsed, drained garbanzos onto a clean kitchen towel. Use a second towel to gently rub the top of the beans. Pick over them to remove the skins.


Transfer the skinned beans into the zip-top bag. Season with the olive oil, curry powder and garlic salt. Zip bag and shake everything together. Arrange seasoned beans on parchment-lined sheet tray in a single layer. Roast for 40-45 minutes until a little crunchy. Watch to make sure they don’t burn the last few minutes they are roasting.


Remove from oven and cool. Store in zip-top bag for two to three days (I think- these never last that long at my house).






No comments: