Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rainbows and Crustaseans



I have one of those husbands who can see beauty, and is quick to share it. Last night, while I was preparing dinner he phoned me and said, “Take a look outside!” It was a unusually warm, rainy day for a Midwestern February, so the preschooler and I went out to puddle stomp. 


My hubby’s “take a look” was a magnificent full-length double bow rainbow. And guess what? I could see the “end”. It came down in the field in front of the woods across the road from us. It seems a muddy field is at the end of the rainbow.


Anyhow, it was one of those nights where I decided to deviate from my pre-planned menu. Dinner tonight was stuffed portabella mushrooms, roasted shrimp and a “chop-chop” salad. The roasted shrimp was a take on a recipe I read somewhere earlier this week, and cannot find it again. “Splendid Table”?(hey- I am a chef I read a lot of recipes- ). So thank you to whomever I owe credit for the idea.


Roasted Shrimp


Peeled and deveined frozen, raw shrimp- any size

Extra Virgin Olive oil- as needed

Course salt- sea salt or kosher


Set oven at 350*F. Toss the shrimp with the olive oil and salt. Dump on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes. There is a lot of room for error- it is hard to over-cook these, but not impossible. When they turn evenly pink, and lose their translucent appearance they are ready.

No comments: