Saturday, February 7, 2009

Olive Oil

I admit to being a bit snarky about the Food Network occasionally. Not because it’s bad- it isn’t- but it really misses the basic commandments of cooking. I would say that I don’t watch it- but that would be misleading, since I don’t really have television. 


I shudder a bit when I hear those words, “I always watch the food network!” Often, they are followed by a comment based on shaky culinary theory. And don’t get me started on reality shows in the kitchen: meanness for sport isn’t anymore acceptable in professional kitchens these days than it is anyplace else. It’s too hard to get quality staff to abuse them after they arrive.


Today, while  teaching a just-for-fun continuing education class the topic of olive oil came up. “I just don’t like it, and they cook with it all over on TV.” 


Upon investigating, the programs in question were sautéing with copious amounts of extra virgin olive oil. There are couple of fundamental problems with this: first, saute is a high heat, less-fat cooking method. Second, extra virgin olive oil specifically, and all “colored” oils in general, should not be used in high heat applications. They have what is called a low “smoke point.” This, as it sounds, is the temperature at which the oil begins to smoke. Oils like peanut oil, canola oil and even the lighter colored, second press olive oils are better suited to hot cooking. When you cook at high temperatures with the more flavorful oils, it changes the flavor of it, making it taste almost rancid.


I do cook with extra-virgin olive oil, but not when I saute or pan fry- in fact, I use commercial pan spray for much of my sautéing. If I do want the flavor of olive oil in a pan-fry, I mix it with peanut oil.


From a health standpoint, I think olive oil probably is healthy, but we Americans eat too much of everything. Remember, olive oil has 120 calories per tablespoon, just like any other fat. The savings comes in using less because it is so flavorful.


I don’t have a recipe today, as much as I have a shortcut.


I took this to what my hubby has dubbed my “geeky home-ec” party last week- a group of women who eat, stitch and solve all the worlds problems- but most of us are employed in higher education or other professional-level careers. We’re probably not conventional, but we had fun conversation.


Hummus in a Hurry


Tub o’ hummus (whatever commercially available Hummus you like)

Pine nuts (I actually bought hummus with pine-nuts, removed them and rinsed)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil- my standard household olive oil is the mild-tasting “Pompeian”

Marinated Artichoke Hearts (mine were from Trader Joe’s)

Jarred Red Peppers, sliced into strips


Assorted pre-cut veggies

Assorted GF crackers


Invert hummus into a pretty, shallow bowl. Put the package under something in the garbage, so no one knows your secret.


Toast the pine nuts in a dry saute pan on medium heat, tossing occasionally until they are golden brown. Nuts continue to cook after you remove them from the heat, so under-toast them a tad.


Arrange the artichoke hearts and red pepper strips around the edge of the bowl.


Drizzle lightly with olive oil, and just a tablespoon or so of the marinade from the artichokes. Top with the toasted pine nuts.


Serve with veggies, cracker or slices of Italian Daily Bread.

No comments: