Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whadda want to know?

"Experimental" was my favorite class in Cooking School. Well, except for the part where it was a glass kitchen, as well as, the first stop for bus loads of grannies who would rather tour cooking schools than gamble nickels in Atlantic City. 

I really like to play with my food. You would think that as a chef, the switch to gluten-free would be an epic struggle. The joy of having my health back really has out weighed any other concerns. Besides, I was already eating rice noodles with peanut sauce before I every thought of gluten free.

I need to 'fess up, though: I am taking you for granted. I assume that your transition has been as smooth as mine. I live in a bit of "food bubble". Sure, I have days when the kids are lucky to get scrambled eggs for dinner- but my family is a little warped- the three-year-old wants to go to Thai restaurants the way other people's kids want the mac and cheese at Bob Evans. 

So tell me: what are your everyday obstacles? What would make your gluten-free life easier? What is that food that you had to give up because you just don't know what a good sub is for the conventional version? Is there a recipe that has totally eluded you? Are there ingredients that you see on the shelf, but want to know if they are worth $7.99 a pound? Tell me, ask your friends: have them tell me.

The Chef Silly Test Kitchen is officially open.

4 comments:

marylandceliac said...

I can't stop craving egg rolls and szechuan chicken!

Jill said...

oooo- I do love egg rolls.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Swing said...

I'm so happy to find your blog. I'm still in search of a good sandwich bread that I can make grilled cheese sandwiches with. Another thing I miss a lot is dim sum: steamed pork buns, pan fried dumplings, etc.

Please check out my blog, too:
http://thesensitiveepicure.blogspot.com/