Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ode to my Rice Cooker

Bless you! Oh rice cooker
You truly save the day.

You bail me out when my
busy life gets in the way.

Bubbling and brewing
Simmering and stewing

Dinner is done
Oh joy, oh fun!

Okay- it is cheesy. Make fun of me if you must. I have a house showing tomorrow, a house full of extra kids and two who are recovering from having their wisdom teeth pulled. I also have a fridge full of leftovers that don’t connect.

Enter my rice cooker. A “top your rice” leftover buffet ties it all together. Some assembly required.

Fast Mama Coconut Rice

Rice cooker
Rice- I like basmati and buy it in 25# bags- use a cup for every 4 people
Water
Salt
Coconut Milk (I buy the little cans- 5.5 fl oz)- about a tablespoon
Butter-optional

Put your rice in the insert for your rice cooker. Rinse, swirl and drain until the water isn’t really cloudy anymore. Add water until it covers the rice, plus almost an inch (some people say if you stick your finger in to the top of the rice, your water should come up to your first joint- I just eyeball it.)

Stir in salt, coconut milk, and butter. Adjust your coconut milk according to taste. If you have an Asian, Indian or Pacific inspired topping, more is good.

Cook according to your rice cooker’s instructions.

Top and serve.

Be happy.

No comments: